Saturday 5 June 2010

Vincent and the Doctor

Vincent and the Doctor

So in this week’s episode the Doctor has taken Amy went to a gallery to see the works of Vincent Van Gogh, after seeing what looked like a sort of beast in one of the paintings they rush back in time to discover what that beast is. As it turns out it’s a lost alien. It wasn't explained how it got there, but that really didn't matter. When I saw the small clip of the episode last week I wasn't expecting much and thought it was going to be another Unicorn and the Wasp type of episode. I was so wrong, this episode is emotional, touching, well written and overall a very strong episode, definitely one of the best in the current series.

Guest writer Richard Curtis took on this episode, I wasn’t really sure what he had done in the past but looking on IMDB it appears he's written a few shows I really like, Blackadder, French and Saunders, Bridget Jones Dairy, and Vicar of Dibey, pardon Mr Bean, Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral and I pretty much like his past work. This episode of Dr Who was very touching and I won't lie it bright a tear to my eye. I felt sorry for Vincent after the Doctor said they would be leaving and the Doctor then found him crying in Bed. I'm not a huge fan of Vincent Van Gogh's work but I respect him and his legacy, and I do actually really like 'starry night' I just find it so magical. The part where they are on the grass looking up to the stars is simply magical, they start to see how Vincent sees the world, all the different colours moving, the stars shinning, the blacks and the blues of the sky’s moving and changing. Just wonderful.

My favourite parts included Amy being surrounded by the sunflowers, it could have been a perfect painting, pity they had an alien on the loose. I'm sure Vincent could have sold that one for more than a few drinks. The shot was framed perfectly and was just wonderful. The way Amy and Vincent interacted was spot on, they seemed like old friends, as if they had a connection, and I think it was more than just the red hair.

The Doctor: The Ultimate Ginger

Another moving moment was when Vincent saw a sadness within Amy, (this was clearly from Rory’s death that Amy has forgotten about) when Amy said she wasn't sad he asked her then why was she crying, she was surprised to feel the tear down her cheek, clearly Rory's memory is still within in her somewhere (my bets are that Amy's memory bring him back to life in the final when the Doctor heals the crack). The end of the episode was truly moving, Amy thinks that they may have changed the future and Vincent might not have killed himself, rushing back into the gallery she expects to see many more paintings, but sadly nothing changed. Amy is sad that they weren't able to help him but the Doctor comforts her by telling her that they added to the good things in his life. Seeing something in the distance she sees the painting of the sun flowers, walking up to it, it is empty on a dark wall, your eyes fixed to the painting, here we see Vincent has left a message for her. While no such message is on the real painting it was a nice touch to end on.

Clearly I really enjoyed this episode, definitely one of the best if not the best episode in the current series.

No comments:

Post a Comment