Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Junior Apprentice: Selling In the Art World

The Junior Apprentice: Selling In the Art World

So it’s been another Wednesday and another episode of the Junior Apprentice. This week the two groups had the task of finding two artists and then selling their work on their behalf. This week the groups were Arjun, Emma and Zoe up against Kristy, Tim and Hannah. I was unsure as to who I was cheering for this week and my two favourites Arjun and Kirsty were on different teams.

This week Emma and Tim were project managers. While Emma did an ok job she was always being over taken by Zoe who yes id play to her strengths having an art background but was annoyingly rude when she interrupted her team mates while trying to make sales. However Emma could have done a better job of defining her role but Zoe does seem to have a way of doing what she wants. Either way I don't see either Emma or Zoe winning the contest, Emma isn't strong enough and Zoe is all out for herself and even when the leader seems to take on everything and makes it clear when she has done well rather than when the team has done well.

Tim’s team were ok, they did everything right except they clearly hadn't done their research on the location and weren't aware as to the type of market they would be selling to. They picked a photographer and an artist who paints expensive abstract pieces, while the photographer was a good pick the expensive abstracts were just a bad pick, as they were never going to sell unless it was a high market audience. This could have been avoided if one of my favourites Kristy had made more of a connection with the artist, while she honestly said she knows nothing of the art world it doesn't take much to try and make an interest in the product she was going to be selling. From this I don't think she’s one of my favourites anymore, it seems she’s only interested if it’s a product area she’s interested in. So I am now fully team Arjun! I'm not a fan on Tim either, I think he's just got lucky to be this far and it won't be long till he's gone. In the end Hannah was sent home, but she still has her invention to land back on so I'm not feeling to sorry for her because she'll be just fine.

Again I love this show because I always think I could do a better job, but it is different because I'm sat on my nice chair at home watching while they are trying to live it, so while I would like to believe I could do it I know I'd be just as bad and make the same mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment