Monday 7 June 2010

Music Blog

Music Blog

I have entered a contest for 4Music where basically you have to finish the sentence 'Music makes me feel....' in 150 words or less the winner then gets a laptop and a flip cam, using these tools the winner then gets to work with 4music for three months, updating their face book, twitter and I believe going to events to interview popular music stars for the 4music blog. So my friend Stacey convinced me to give it a shot.

I like generally all types of music, from the top 40 to small experimental bands. I think the only type of music I don't like is hard core rock, heavy rock, rap and hip hop. But otherwise I'm very open to different types of music. Here is a quick list of some of the bands and artists on my iphone.

Adele, Avril Lavigne, Bat for Lashes, björk, Blink 182, Blondie, Blur, Damien Rice, David Bowie, Feist, Florence and the machine, Franz Feriand, Goldfrapp, The Hooisers, Jack Conte, Kate Nash, Keane, The Killers, KT Turnstal, Lady GaGa, Ladyhawke, Lily Allen, Little Boots, Marina and the Diamonds, MGMT, Mika, Mumford and Sons, Muse, Natash Bedingfield, Nirvana, Paloma Faith, Paramore, Pink, Pomplamoose, Robbie Williams, Scissor Sisters, Space, Stickboy, V V Brown, The White Strips. Wicked, Buffy once more with feeling.

And thats not even all of them, just a small range of different artists and types of music. I like to think of myself as someone with a decent level of taste (but don't we all). So once a month or every few weeks I'll be posting songs that have caught my attention (inspired by the http://phillyjpopblog.blogspot.com/ blog) I'll try and post a different range of music and let you know what I think.

Before I said I like to think of myself as a person with a good level of taste, that said I do like pop. I don't care. I like girly pop, it’s easy, fun, and its popular, yes its mainstream but don't be a snob. So the first song is



Diana Vickers-The Boy Who Murdered Love

I find this song to be quiet similar to her first single 'Once'. Its light hearted and easy to song along to. While I'm not a huge fan of the X-Factor I did watch the series she was in and at the time I liked her, (as well as her cawl) I thought she was a breath of fresh air from the other acts and its nice to see her back. I get the feeling she might grow up in to a Sophie Ellis Bextor type of artist but a little bit more poppy. As for the video, its harmless, sweet and the animations are fun, I espically like the part where she shoots of her own arrow. So thats my little bit of girly pop, lets move on.



Katie Melua - The Flood

I saw this video on another blog and since I have been listening to this song, I've had to force myself to stop playing it over and over again in fear of getting bored of it. But the more I listen to it the more I love it. Since hearing the song I've bought her new album and this song and 'Happy Place' are definitely the best while the others feel very much like the same style of music from her last albums, not that this is a bad thing it would have just been nice to hear something a little bit more different overall. As for this video I love the part when she’s on the piano and is spinning like a spinning top, it looks like fun! Stunning as always Katie album is definitely worst a listen to.



Beat the Horse - Pomplamoose

While is song isn't actually very new I highly recommend you go listen to these two on youtube and just buy their albums! Their music is just so good, they create videos which are called VideoSongs. A VideoSong is a new Medium with two rules:

1. What you see is what you hear (no lip-syncing for instruments or voice).
2. If you hear it, at some point you see it (no hidden sounds).

They do covers and their own originals. I can only hope to one day see them live!



MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS | OBSESSIONS

Now you have most likely heard of marina and the diamonds, and if you haven't then where on earth have you been?! She is just so fantastic! She’s just the right about of experimental without being attention seeking. I found Marina on youtube a while before her songs started playing on the radio and I was kind of of hoping that she wouldn't become mainstream just so she could be one of those bands that had a few fans and that made it quiet special. Also great at parties when people are talking about music and you can say 'oh, so you've not heard of Marina and the Diamonds?! Well she’s just the next best thing, can't believe you've not hard of her' while I'm not a snob I do like to feel smug lol

No comments:

Post a Comment