Monday 21 June 2010

The Pandorica Opens

The Pandorica Opens

Its the penultimate episode of the current series of Doctor Who and WOW what an episode. This episode was all about building up questions but gave enough answers so it felt like just a simple building episode. Before I go on if you haven't seen the episode do not read this as it will contain spoilers. Ready? Ok.

So Theres Riversong, a box, Cybermen, daleks, sontarans, Auton Rory, a trapped Doctor and a dead Amy. Yeah that preety much covers it. End of Blog.

I jest, yeah alot happened in this episode. It all starts with Vincent Van Gough who paints a painting of the tardis exploding, this painting gets passed on untill Riversong finally is made aware of it, espacing from prison she tracks down the painting and meets the Doctor in the past with a bunch of Romans. I've got to say I wasn't too thrilled when I first heard that Riversong would be back in the seires after the Silence in the libary but after this series shes won me over. I like her and I'm glad shes part of the Doctor Who family. So Riversong, Amy and the Doctor find whats called the Pandorica which is supposed to have a very large evil within in it, however the Doctor doesn't know whats in it, which he find it hard to believe since hes all knowing and what have you.

One of my favorite moments in the episode was when Amy was fighting with a cybermans head. I know I've asked if we could see Amy taking more action, and while this might be a step in the right direction, it was just more funny than anything. The cyber head has its wires around Amy's arms as it tires to attack it, it opens up its head na dspits out a human skull. Amy screams. The head then starts chopping at her. Amy Screams some more. Bashing it against a brick wall she finally beats it of her. While I can see a cyberman head trying to eat Amy as being quiet scary for a child I couldn't help but find myself laugh at the little scene.

Throughout the episode I thought it was going to be either Davros or maybe the human doctor aka David Tennant. I thought it could have been David simply because I just wanted to see him and Matt together and I thought it could have been Davros because of the voice we heard. But no, it was infact all a set up for the Doctor, all his foes worked as one big team to trap him away forever. Kinda of nice when you think about it, putting their differences all aside for one common goal.

Now I always thought Rory was going to make an apperence in the last two episodes, just not quiet like this. Turns out the foes of Doctor who used Amy's memories from her house to create a setup which would interest the Doctor in to coming to, this memores included Rory. Sadly though the romans and Rory are just Auton copies. So sad. Whats sadder is that the Auton Rory kills Amy! I wanted the real Rory back, not some cheap plastic fake! None the less when the Doctor manages to sdave the day and fix the crack I'm sure the real Rory will be back.

But its all a matter of how is the Doctor going to save the day? We all know he is, because the good guys always win no matter how many times they do it. Whats interesting is how and what happens along the way? Will Riversong be ok? (remember we didn't actually see her die) How will the Doctor get out? Will Amy come back to life? My guess is that the copy of Rory has something to so with it. The copyies are so well made they actually think they are the people are copying, so the fake Rory might fight his default programming and thinking he's Rory might save the day. Otherwise I've no clue but look forward to fidning out.

ps. Well done to Richard who called what was in the box.

1 comment:

  1. You know River is going to be okay because in her time line these events are happening BEFORE the events of Silence in The Library, where *spoiler* she dies.
    Your not the only person who thought that somehow David Tennant would be in the box, even Kevin said so, and he never watches Dr Who. I heard this theory so often, I was actually disapointed when the box opened and he wasn't there!
    And I think we would have heard if Amy was only doing the one series... she must live!

    ReplyDelete