Monday 24 May 2010

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Review
So I went to go see the Prince of Persia, I had the choice of either this or four lions, but I was in the mood for something a little away from reality. Being a fan of the games and thinking the pirates of the Caribbean were an ok series of films I thought it couldn't be that bad. I'm also a fan of Gemma Arterton. Now many films that have been made from games have never done well. To list a few, Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and Doom. None of these films are actually any good when considered as films, granted they try to please the fans of the games by trying to stick to the same style and patterns but when trying to expand on story lines from games which can go in to hours in to an two hour movie can prove hard, or in another instance sometimes there just isn't enough story line behind a game to create a good story for the film eg Street Fighter. Tekken is soon to be the next movie game to come out, being a fan of the Tekken series I had high hopes for it, but after watching the trailer it looks like I may just be adding it to my guilty pleasures list.

The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time movie is by no means a bad movie, it’s just not very good. It looks nice, there is plenty of action and stunts, the actors are attractive and at times witty however overall the script and the story is at times very cheesy. It clearly plays tribute to the game as it has a very game feel to it, while watching it I couldn't help but think I had played similar levels when the prince jumped on boxes and ran across walls. There is a scene at the start of the film where the camera quickly spins around the location the Prince is about to break in to and its very much like the camera work in the game where you get a chance to look at your surroundings to plan ahead as to what you are supposed to jump on and what secret buttons you are meant to press to advance in the level. While I am pleased the movie showed respect to the game I did think they might have pulled back a little with the over the top acrobatics, instead of doing it at any given moment it might have been nice just to have one really over the top scene for the fan rather than letting it consume the whole movie.

I sometimes felt as if the plot moved very quickly and it felt like they jumped to different parts of the story without having explained how they had got to different locations. The very important scene where the power of the dagger is explained happens very fast and I almost thought a pop up was about to come on the screen to explain the audience what buttons have to be pressed to use the time travelling powers of the weapon.

Gemma Arteton looked stunning in every scene she was in and my female friend would often whisper to me 'he's pretty' referring to Jake Gyllenhaal aka the Prince to which I would say back 'He's no Amy Pond' to which she would answer 'you’re not wrong'. After seeing her performance in this I would like to see her more gritty, darker role in 'The Disappearance of Alice Creed'

There is a moment in the first game where the prince and female lead are trapped in a small area under rocks in the dark. The prince panics a little and the female (I think she’s a princess, it’s been a while since I played the game) calms him down by telling him of a 'magic' word her mother told her when she was younger, I forget what the magic word is, but she has never told anyone this before. It is in the end of the game where the Prince uses the power of the dagger to restore everything back to the way it was before meeting the princess that he goes to her room and she asks who he is he says he should not fear her and tell her of the magic word, shocked as how he could know of it, he leaves. It’s a bitter sweet ending but I feel the movie missed on a great scene that would have granted the film a better ending.

Overall the film isn't a great film, its a bit of fun and if someone wanted to watch it on DVD I'd say sure. But I wouldn't mind giving it a miss. It was fun and imagine a younger audience would enjoy it. 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment