Monday 24 May 2010

Dr Who: Amy Pond, Brave Heart Or Damsel In Distress?

After trying a few different blog sites I have finally decided to use Blogger. I tired using blogger about a year ago but found myself not actually having anything to write about, I then tired other sites but found I didn't like their layouts. After finally sorting out my different accounts I m back on blogger! I will be using this space to talk about shows, film and events I find interesting and as a record of what I like and dislike.

I have been watching dr who recently, and wrote a blog about Amy Pond on my Tumblr account, however as I will no longer be using that site I have decided to post my last entry from there on to here.

Dr Who: Amy Pond, Brave Heart Or Damsel In Distress?
I am a Doctor Who fan, I haven't wathced the 'classic' seires and have been told to on many occastion. I started watching with Christopher Eccleston and since I feel the show has gotten better and better. As the show has moved on it has changed and I feel for the better, with each seires there is the right ammount of different. I really liked David Tennant as the Doctor and aside from a few of the specials his seires was overall really enjoyable, he was young, fast paced, fun, wise and I would glady run away from an alien down a long corridor with him. I was sad when he left the seires and when he last his last words 'I don't want to go' I (and likely most of his fans) shouted at the televsion screen 'THEN DON'T!' but sadly he did, his end had to happen eventually and it certainly ended on a high note.
Now we have Matt Smith as the youngest actor to yet play the role of the Doctor, the first episode was a little odd and I didn't really like the start of it when he was getting used to is body, however I didn't like the first episode David Tennant was in with the christmas special, this may have been due to me getting used to a new Doctor after liking the last one but It was also because the Doctor was still getting used to his body and there has to be a bit of adjusting for the character to do. So far I am enjoying Matts series, while being the youngest actor yet he has the power to turn in to an old man when yelling at the humans around him, in the second episode with the star whale he turns on those around him and says something on the lines of 'No human gets to talk now' this line perfectly spilts the time lord from the human and reminds us he is smarter than any human their, as a viewer I even felt like i was being told off by a older teacher. The weakest episode has to be 'victory of the daleks', not alot happened and most the episode was shot in two rooms with alot of people making alot of sound. There could have been an interesting sub-plot with one of the female workers waiting for news from what I can guess is her love interest, but as for the actualy story nothing happened other than letting us know the daleks are back in bright new colours. The writers will at some point use them again but I'm not expecting to see them again in this seires.
With a new Doctor comes a new companion, travelling with the Doctor this time is Amy Pond. A young, adventurous, fun, attractive, Scottish lass. But for now for my main point of this blog entry. Is her bark worse than her bite? So far we have seen her in trouble and caught by the enemy in nearly every episode. Lets examine this more
Warrning, this will contain spoilers
1) Granted in this episdoe Amy is very much getting used to the Doctor and getting her head around the idea to an actualy time lord, aliens and the possible end of the world. However in comparision with Rose, Martha and some respects Donna's first encounter with the Doctor we found them fighting back and trying to make sense of things alot quicker, Rose even saves the Doctor in her first episode! With Amy, we see a lot of shouting and running away. While Donna tired to save the world by shouting she acted on it. None the less as this was her first episode, we'll let her off.
2) Again in her defence it was her who worked things out and saved the star whale (side note: How sweet is that name? 'Star Whale'!) the Queen did alot of the action in this episode and didn't leave much room for Amy to have a shot of it.
3) Overall not a great episode, very boring which was basically set in two rooms where Amy stood around for a bit not doing much.
4/5) Amy is caught by an angel and walks around with her eyes closed for most of the episode. Being protected by a group of army men who wonder off in to the crack in time. She does have to save her own skin by walking through the angels with her eyes closed which she would have had to be very brave to do but none the less she had the Doctors help. Not a very active member in this episode, and more a victim. However she was up against the weeping angels, of the best and most scary of the dr who villians out there.
6) While she offers to go in to the school to save the girl from the alien fish/vamps she does end up being caught and tied down and almost being turned in to a fish lady. While she kicks and screams a bit she is saved by the Doctor and others around her. I can't but help but wonder what Rose, Martha and Donna would have done. She was even guarded by her wussy human boyfriend, she finished him off with her make up mirror but is this only empowering a over stated female stereotype or just quick celver thinking?
7) Shes with child!? Ok so shes in no fit state to be fighting back against an alien race but the episode is called 'Amy's Choice' this could have been her chance to sine and come across as a real hero, work everything by herslef and show charatcer development. When her boyfriend dies this is where she finally knows she loves Rory and its sad that it took something like that for her to know her real feelings, from this her emotions get the better of her and preety much says 'I'd rather die without him' this is sweet but she could have very well been wrong about which was the real reality and could have just killed herself, her unborn child and the Doctor!
8) She gets dragged in to a hole and tied up again. Enough said.
Their are still 5 episodes left in the seires and we still might she Amy strike back and use what she has learnt and seen to be the hero in the end. If she is in the second seires (and I believe she will be) her charatcer may change slighty as did Rose's. It has been said that Amy is supposed to be one of the more relatable female charatcers the show has had, however it would be nice to see the female gender portrayed with a streonger role model rather than a damsel waiting for her knight/Doctor to ride in on his horse/tardis.
I do like Amy and the way she interatcs with the Doctor and Rory, together they are a fun team. I think Amy will be around for the second seires but I'm not sure what they are going to do with Rory, they might keep him on board and go back to the orginal format of the show where there was the Doctor, a young girl and two adults. This time however keep it as the Doctor and two young adults. One things for sure though they are certainly not the Doctor, Rose and Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment