Thursday 26 August 2010

My Thoughts On : Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I've got in from seeing Scott Pilgrim vs the world and to sum it in a word, the film was EPIC! Allow me to expand on that. SUPER EPIC! I first heard about Scott Pilgrim when my friend Paddy introduced me to the comics, every time he bought another volume he would let me borrow them, I'm half way through all the volumes now and I am enjoying them so much more than I expected to. What I found funny was that in the first volume was a normal story line, a girl going out with a guy, the guy likes someone else, the guy is in a band ect ect and then in the last four pages of the volume there is a video game styled battle. Scott defeats the first of the seven evil ex's and like in true video game form gets a few gold coins for his victory.

Edgar Wright (director of Shaun of the dead and hot fuzz) did a perfect job of directing the style of the graphic novel (I'm still not sure what to call it, is it a comic or graphic novel? Is there a difference?). The casting was spot on, every actor was a perfect fit for all the characters. When I found out Michael Cera was going to play scott I was a little confused, looking back at his filmography he hardly stuck out as a 'scott' type person, normally he's played a wall flower, a uncomfortable awkward indie guy and I always thought of Scott being a little bit more eccentric but now having watched the film I think Michael Cera really pulled off the role.

I loved the way the pop art video game style merged with the film, it wasn't overbearing and was a reminder to the audience where exactly the film got its influences from. I was watching a interview today where the cast were asked why wasn't the film in 3D. A question my friends and I pondered while on the car journey home. In the interview they said that they felt as if the graphics were already so well fitted to the film that if they added the 3D element that the film might have become more about the 3D, rather than the characters, story and music.

Another high note from this film was the music. I am now looking in to buying the soundtrack and I can't stop listening to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMruFHTwrY&feature=related

(curse you youtube won't let me add the video to my blog, but click the link and it will take you there)

As well as this song the movie is all about the music, jam packed with rocking good music its introduced me to some bands I've never heard of and I will definitely be looking in to them.

If I had only one tiny little downer about this film would be that some of the better jokes were in the trailer and it slightly gave them away, although I think they were strong enough that they still worked in the film.


Anyway, as you can have guess I really liked this film and can't wait to get it on DVD. Let me know what you think, have you read the comic? Did you think it was loyal to it?


Cotton Wool James.

No comments:

Post a Comment