Monday 9 August 2010

Music Blog: 10/8/10

Tomorrow I'm going to a screening of Avatar: The Last Air bender which I'm looking forward to but am worried about as well. I love the animated series (and am happy to hear that another series is being made) but I am worried about seeing the movie, It hasn't got the best reviews over in America, I've not really heard that it’s a must see yet, it’s still unsure if the other two films are going to be made and I have a terrible feeling it’s going to be another Golden Compass (aka The Northern Lights) pretty to look at but overall boring. But I still have high hopes so until that review here is a music blog!

Arcade Fire

I don't know much about Arcade Fire other than their song was used for the movie 'Where the wild things are' the song is called 'wake up' and I really enjoyed it but never got in to the band. I've only seen half of the film but fell asleep just because I found it that boring (again, very pretty but just boring) I'll give it another chance one day. But working alongside the trailer their song was perfect, a little but indie, uplifting while depressing at the same time and just cool. Now I've been listening to XFM for a bit now and they keep playing their new single called

We Used To Wait


Again I don't know much about the band, but every time I hear their work I seem to like it, so this is definitely a band I am going to look more in to. What do you think of them? Are they worth my time? What songs would you suggest listening to?

The Hoosiers



With their new single 'Choices' they have a new sound. When I first heard the song I wasn't a fan but the more I listen to it the more I like it. I do however have a problem with the video. It’s just bad and looks a little cheap. I cringe at the intro where the lead acts, as much as I like the band there’s just something a little bit annoying about them when they act up, perhaps it’s just their sense of humour that I just don't get but when I watch the video I have to pass the dialogue to get to the song. None the less I like their music and have enjoyed their past videos. When I was in college I went to see them live at the Academy in Manchester. Now Academy 3 is a very small arena, you could compare it to a shed. But I prefer smaller gigs as there’s a better chance of seeing the band and getting closer to the front (although being as tall as I am I don't often have trouble seeing the front: P ). I remember on the way there NME voted them worst band of the year (a great start to the night lol, although I've always thought NME is a little bit up its own backside) but my friends and I had a great time. There was plenty of energy, and as much as I said I find the band a little annoying I do like them and from what I've seen and read about them they seem to be genuinely nice people. I look forward to see what different types of music the band experiment in to with their album.


^The Hoosiers at Academy 3 in Manchester

Eminem - Love The Way You Lie ft. Rihanna



Eminem is either a joker or deadly serious, now normally I'm not a huge fan of his works especially the more light hearted ones (although to my annoyance 'we made you' was stuck in my head for days) and while I really didn't like her Rude Boy I tend to normally like her songs and her videos. I like that Rihanna is experimental with her fashion and style but it doesn't define her as an artist (which could be argued with Lady Gaga). Working together they have created a dark song which deals with domestic violence, a issue close to Rihanna. In the video stars Megan Fox which is always a plus, there is a beautiful moment where Megan and her 'partner' are on fire. Just a wonderful sight. A truly dark and chilling song.

Eliza Doolittle



Ending on a happier note is skinny Genes by Eliza Doolirrle. This cute little singer is a breath of fresh air, she reminds me of better looking, better dressed version of Miquita (T4 presenter) the song is cherry, happy and just all round fun to whistle along with. I expect we'll have many hits from her to come and I can't wait to hear what else she has got to give.

1 comment: