Thursday 5 August 2010

My Thoughts On: Knight and Day

My Thoughts On: Knight and Day

Disclaimer: The following are my own thoughts and feeling and do not represent anyone else.

So last night I was called last minute, I was told there was a staff screening of Knight and Day at work. So at eleven at night I called my friend to see if she would like to see the film and my sister asked to come along as well. So we were there at half twelve ready to go. Now I've seen the trailer a few times now, I wasn't all that bothered about seeing the film. As much as I like Cameron Diaz I've never been a fan of Tom Cruise even before he turned to scientology and this little happening



I've seen bits of mission impossible. But what actually has he done since that has been that popular (if not a dying franchise, I'm actually shocked they're bringing it back for a fourth) He was in Tropic Thunder and War of the worlds. I can't judge Tropic Thunder but I have heard that his character may be getting a spin of movie, but is he really the type of actor that can pull of a full comedy by himself? And then there was War of the worlds which was just grey dull and boring. So it makes sense that he's gone back to the genre that he works best in. Action. I've read he was offered the role of the lead in the movie Salt (now played by Angelina Jolie) but rejected it as he thought the role was too similar to his character from Mission Impossible but by taking on the movie Knight and Day he's pretty much done the same thing. While the story lines are different, he's still fitting in to the role of action spy, not actually a huge leap from Mission Impossible. By taking on the role it’s like he’s screaming out 'I've still got it! I can still be cool, shoot guns and drive fast cars! While at the same time make a tiny effort to play different roles (while playing a similar role)'

However, putting aside my feelings for the man let’s look at the film. Overall I felt the story was a little weak and I didn't find myself caring if the day was saved. Throughout the film Cameron Diaz's character is drugged and we skip large parts of the plot. One could see this as a funny and quirky way of getting away from the boring parts of the plot to the more important parts, however to do it throughout the film just gets a little old. There’s not allot to say really about the film, it’s not exactly a bad film it’s just all the best parts are given away in the trailer and one of the better parts of the trailer was the Muse song with it. The film is funny is a sort of 'we know we're being corny' kind of way but I can't help but think when watching the film if I was watching a plot or the inside of Tom Cruises head as he slowly breaks down in to madness. (Not being cruel but the guy has a really scary smile)

To break it down
Pros: Cool driving scenes, a few nice action scenes, Cameron Diaz
Cons: Tom Cruise, green screen and CGI weren't great, everything was given away in the trailer, cheesy and not always for good, not enough mystery for a spy genre of film and confusing film title.

I wouldn't recommend paying to see this at the cinema and at best would say it would make an alright rental from blockbusters if you’re bored and can't find anything else. 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment