Monday 12 July 2010

My Thoughts On Twilight Eclipse

My Thoughts On Twilight Eclipse

I feel I should start by saying that I am not saying what I about just to be funny, sarcastic or witty but am simply just saying what I think about the film and the series. I'm not saying it because it’s 'cool' to not like twilight but because its what I think. So let us begin.

I have not read any of the twilight saga books, I did try but after two chapters of twilight I couldn't bear to read any more. Bella is not a likeable person and I soon became tired of her moaning. However I have many friends who have read the books and have filled me in on any missing details. Although I feel one shouldn't have to know of a book to understand a film adaptation (much like the film called 'Watchmen' which was just really bad and I instantly dismiss the argument that you have to read the graphic novel first to really 'get' it, sod that I'm watching a film and shouldn't have to do my homework to prepare) I'm told the films do well to keep to the world that the books have created.

I have watched all three films and have yet to really see the appeal. Yes I understand that Edward and Jacob are both attractive males but surely after seeing the same two faces after a while cracks are going to appear and the truth that the pace is slow, the story is boring and very little actually happens is bound to come out, right?

Now let’s go through some of the reasons I don't like twilight. There’s Bella, Edward, Jacob, Twilight fans and the missed opportunities within the film which could make great parts.

Edward
Edward is supposed to be a perfect guy, a knight in shining armour. Strong, good looking and sensitive, I mean come on he sits through Belles poems (which edge on being your bad typical emo writings) but I don't really get him. Throughout the films he’s scared of hurting Bella, turning her in to a vamp and taking her soul. Yet somehow he continues to fight for her love, when really he knows he’s bad for her. Granted he allows her to make her own choice but he doesn't discourage her, yeah he left her in New Moon but he could have made a better effort to get away from her. Watching Bella scream, moan and go through her very 'deep' teenager 'you'll never understand me' angst was not fun, and so Edward I blame you for that.

Jacob
Now I felt sorry for him in new moon when Bella was messing him about. She basically said 'You can fancy me, you can look and think all you want but you can never touch me and I'm gonna get a high of that because I'm a self centred b****' (If you haven't gathered it by now I'm not a Bella fan) but in this film I felt no pity for him. Bella had made it clear she wanted Edward, but in every scene they shared together in this new film I'm sure they pretty much had the same lines

First Scene together:
Jacob: You love me
Bella: No I don't

Second Scene together:
Jacob: You love me; you just don't know it yet
Bella: No I don't!
*Jacob kisses Bella*
*Bella punches him in the face and she breaks her hand*
XD Stupid Bella

Kissing scene on the mountain
Bella: Kiss me
Me in the audience: What?! It was only five minutes ago you told him you weren't interested, you evil, game playing B****!
Emma and Stacey in the audience: *laugh* shhhhhh! *laugh*

Last Scene together
Bella: I'll love you till my heart stops beating
Jacob: Won't be long
Me in the audience: this film is bad! *head explodes*

Ok so my head might not have exploded but none the less you get my drift. I just wanted to shout at Jacob 'Let it go! She’s not worth it! How good can she girl smell!?’

Bella
What is this girl’s appeal? She never smiles, she’s never happy, she’s not interesting and overall not a nice person. She’s not to kind to her human friends and treats the guys interested in her like dirt. She’s a bad role model for young girls and I can't image wanting to be friends with a person like this in real life. In this film there is a constant love triangle between her Edward and Jacob. She knows she’s in love with Edward but never really makes a real effort to stop the two fighting over her, it’s like she enjoys it. If she respected them both she would tell them to get over themselves and stop acting like children fighting over a toy. She lets Edward kiss her in front of Jacob (marking his territory , like she’s a belonging and not a person, hurray for feminism) when she knows Jacob is interested in her making the situation more uncomfortable than it already was. She lets Jacob drool all over her and while she does give him a punch ( XD still makes me laugh that she hurt her hand doing so) strong words would have done allot more.

Twlight Fans
Now my friends Emma and Stacey (Hi guys! *waves*) will openly say that they were real twilight fan girls and at the time of reading the books they loved it and they really enjoyed the first two movies, while they admit to liking this third film they know they have grown up and realise the saga really isn't that good. However I blame the hard core twilight fans who made this saga as bg as it is. No, not blame, I pity. These books are aimed at girls and women who through the empty shell that is Bella find them self in a world where their life (Bella’s life) is in danger, finding love with two different men, being adored and taking what is a very boring person and making them in to something of an idol. I'm told that Bella is supposed to be relatable, however I really don't see how. She’s a terrible role model for women and young girls, yeah she goes through the motions when trying to decide who she loves (oh poor you Bella you have two great guys madly in love with you) but how is that relatable to the average girl?! This saga takes advantage of girl’s wants and fantasies. I wonder how many hard core twilight fans will openly say like my friends that the books and films aren't actually that good. I feel most fans of the series simply hope on to the band wagon and get carried away with the group experience of enjoying the idea of which team you are on. Creating the 'which team' are you on creates discussion and chat about why you like the side you do and it becomes cheap fun. But none the less why celebrate two male character types who themselves have a list of down sides, as well as wanting to be the empty shell that Bella is?!

missed opportunities
I understand this film is a 12a and that if there was allot of blood and gore then it would have to be a 15. In doing so there is the risk of losing allot of audience members. But surely telling a story, acting for the art and making a really good film isn't about making money right? (HA! Sorry I forgot we're talking Hollywood for a second then) I believe that this film had a few parts that if pushed could have made the film allot better. You would be surprised to hear that none of these scenes involve Bella, Edward or Jacob (I'd just change their scenes all together) for example. In the film we are told how Rosalie becomes a vampire. In the film we don't get any blood or real action. I'm told we don't get this in the books either but again I'm not asking them to change the story, I just want to actually see it. In the film Rosalie finds the guy who raped and left her for dead. She has a sense of wit and goes to him in a wedding dress, we see the man scared and then we cut back to the present where the audience is left to assume she killed him a painful manner. Now I'm not really a fan of blood and gore but I think this part of the film should have gone totally Kill Bill style, and had a dramatic killing scene with the wanna be vamp bride and her killed. Cinematically it could have looked iconic, just image the bride in her blood stained dressed over the body of her killer. Could be great stuff.

Overall the film lacked pace, again nothing really happened and what did happen could have happened allot faster. I still dislike the main three cast members and I think I'm going to find it hard to be impressed by the next two films. I've been told the next films will become 15's because of the content in the story but we're have to wait and see.

Ps: Great sound track

1 comment:

  1. Though I am no longer a fan girl, I love to argue and it pains me to see you're wrong on a few points. I'm sorry point 6 dissolves into a bit of a rant.

    1. That wasn't Bella's emo poetry. It was by Robert Frost and is quite famous.
    2. Edwards explains why he won't leave her in conversation with Jacob. He tried in New Moon and it almost killed them both. Whilst Jacob is right and she may have healed eventually, Edward does not want to risk it again.
    3. In true emo style Jacob was threatening to get himself killed and Bella asked him to kiss her to keep him alive. In the book she says "kiss me and come back". Jacob was being very manipulitive, in line with his character. He thinks he has nothing to loose and he'll try anything. He thinks that by kissing Bella, Edward will get mad and this will drive Bella away. This explains why he is later so frustrated that Edward does not get mad.
    4. You've misheard Jacob and Bella's last scene. He says he loves her, she says "until my heart stops beating" and he says "maybe even then". Implying he might be softening up and will still love her when she's a vampire.
    5. Yeah Bella is a bitch. I agree. Best part of the book as well when she breaks her hand.
    6. I believe in the book Rosalie has never tasted human blood and only ever killed the one man (her fiance). It was also meant to be longer ago, I'm pretty sure. More Victorian times? At the end of the day these films are out to make money, as is everyone in them. Very few people feel strongly about them in a creative manner, so they are just going to do everything they can to make money, following a successful formula of shirtless Jacob, whiney Edward, angsty Bella and long discussions about love. Putting in a bloodbath, or even more blood than we ruitinely see running down Bella's arm would have pushed the rating to a 15 and half the audience would not have been able to see the film. Being unable to see the film, they wouldn't have bothered to buy the associated t-shirts, posters, bracelets etc etc. The Harry Potter films have a very different kind of team behind them. I feel that everyone who works on Harry Potter has read the books and wants to make good films. I think this really shows through the quality of the films and the number of premiers the stars attend (seeths) Though Harry Potter also has a large amount of merchandising (some completely ridiculous) it's not the main aim of the production. I really do expect to see Jane and Arro's Volturi necklaces for sale in HMV next time I visit.

    ReplyDelete