Thursday 15 July 2010

My Thoughts On Toy Story 3 (3D)

My Thoughts On Toy Story 3 (3D)
This will not contain any spoilers!

So as part of my new job at a cinema I get the extra of staff showings. Tonight after work we watched Toy Story 3 in 3D before it’s released to the general public (in the UK)!

The first toy story came out in 1995, followed by Toy Story 2 in 1999. I would have been around five or six at the time of the first film and I remember loving it. When they said a second one was coming out I wasn't too sure as squeals are never as good as the originals. However I was totally blown away by the second one and I still believe the second one is far superior to the first. And they have done it again with the 3rd! Looking back at the first film I don't think it’s really fantastic, yes there are loveable characters but I think because I've seen it so many times I find it easy to turn it off because I know actually what’s going to happen. But none the less the first movie is what broughts us the great bunch of charatcers we have all grown up with and love.

I'm very spectacle about CGI films, especially the family animated kind. Dreamworks seems to just create them one after another and normally there is very little wonder about them. For example while shrek was good at first I was bitterly disappointed the third film and remember only laughing at one line at the very start. None the less I'll be sure to see the final one as I've heard good things. However Pixar take their time with their time with their films, they create wonderful original characters and surround them in a fantastic world where both children and adults can enjoy.

Toy Story 3 is in a word flawless. I really can't find any fault with this film. Everything about this film was just right. I believe young children who didn't grow up on Toy Story can still enjoy this film but I don't think they will truly get the real history behind it. Growing up with the films and being nearly the same age as Andy now the final film almost feels like its time for us too to move on and start to grow up. Within the film are some almost very dark scenes where the toys are in great danger but the danger it soon solved and something light hearted and funny happens. I won't post any spoilers but there is a moment where it really tugs on your heart strings and is truly sad and you really feel for the toys. I almost want to say 'my toys' as I feel as If I know their character so well.

One thing I was a little unsure about before seeing the film was the use of Barbie and Ken. I wondered if it was just going to be a big advertising stunt, and while I imagine a toy story ken and Barbie will be on the toy selves soon (edit: Just checked, yep they are already made) they really had their own character and within a short amount of time they were quickly developed and felt as if they had always been a part of the gang. I think the Barbie doll was supposed to look like as if it was from the 80's, it looked like it had been fashioned from FAME. While Barbie and Ken had their stereotypical 'Barbie doll' moments (lil bit of a spoiler with a few lines from the film, if you don't wanna read it just scroll past the dialog)
eg

Ken: Okay, now you start.
Barbie: I...
Ken: love...
Barbie: you! Oh!
Ken: See? That time I said "love"! Okay, now me first.
[Buzz gives them a strange look]
Barbie: [overlapping] Ooh! Okay okay okay...
Ken: I...
Barbie: love...
Ken: you! You see what I mean? It changes every time!
Barbie: [laughing] You are so smart!
(thank you IMDB)

This was still funny and as the film went on we soon saw that Barbie is not just a pretty face. But I'll let you watch and find out what I mean.

Pixar are pure genius, there storytelling is simply unbeatable. This film deals with issues such as immortality and what happens when things around you change but you still stay the same. Its heart warming and I'll happily admit I did get teary eyed. I'm really happy with the way things ended and it’s finally completed the story of Toy Story. It’s a must see.


My Old Power Ranger Toy from childhood.
Not throwing this guy away, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment