Saturday 17 July 2010

My Thoughts on : Better Off Ted

My Thoughts on : Better Off Ted

Before I got a summer job during my time off I spent it watching all of the television series 30 Rock. Now I'm left waiting for it to return I need something to fill the void. Sure for a while I had Mary Queen of Shops (oddly entertaining, considering I have no interest in business. I supposed it’s like the apprentice when you think from a outside view you think you could a better job) but I need a comedy show to watch. I have been watching a little bit of the Big Bang Theory and while I'm a fan of the show I wouldn't go out of my way to find the episodes. I've also been watching the new series of the IT Crowd but still I need something more.

So what do I look for in a comedy? Well in 30 Rock there’s the right amount of wit, sarcasm and juvenile behaviour. I like the characters that are in charge and get away with being mean and cruel. While the boss in 30 Rock isn't a villain he does have the power and makes sure his workers know their place. A better example of my favourite type of character is Jordan from scrubs. She’s mean, cruel, sarcastic and can get away with being so, but deep deep DEEP down she’s actually a good person. So I was very happy when I came across the show called 'Better of Ted'.

Better Off Ted revolves around the concept that the characters work for a stereotypically evil company, a fact of which they are all aware. The company, Veridian Dynamics, experiments on its employees, twists the truth, and will stop at nothing to achieve its goals, as reflected in the company motto, "Money before People." It has been mentioned that Veridian has swayed presidential elections, created killer pandas and robots, and that there are only three governments left in the world which are more powerful than Veridian. The characters often try to manipulate the system in order to stop bad things from happening to them, but they are also susceptible to the potential rewards the company can offer despite the consequences of their actions, such as the company's attempt to hire Lem's mother, or the company's introduction of scented light bulbs with known flaws. Much of the comedy of the show comes from the characters' navigation of these morally ambiguous areas.
Thank you Wikipedia

So lets go through the cast

Jay Harrington as Theodore Margaret "Ted" Crisp:
Ted is the main character who leads the show by breaking the fourth wall; normally the show is about his life and what he is getting up to. He’s a likeable character, if not too much of a goodie goodie. He’s a little bit like a boy scout, always keeping to the rules and the moral compass of the show.

Andrea Anders as Linda Katherine Zwordling:
Teds love interest. In the show she is the head of product testing in Teds department. She and Ted are no Ross and Rachel, from the start the two make it very clear the two have feelings for each other but Ted says he has already used his office affair and won't have a second, through the show the two flirt and bring up the subject of being a couple. I'm just waiting for them to hurry it up and get it together with each other; we all know it’s going to happen so they might as well just get on with it. On her own she’s a strong character and has her funny moments, especially when the office is set four different 'looks' and is put in to the section of 'cat lover' the way the different groups interact creates comical situations.

Jonathan Slavin as Dr. Philip "Phil" Myman and Malcolm Barrett as Dr. Lem Hewitt: These two are the best scientists the company has, normally these two are the subject to most of the jokes. Taken advantage of and an excuse to use geek jokes. The two are a great pair and work together well, their relationship is more of a man/wife relationship at times switching roles at different times.

Portia de Rossi as Veronica Palmer:
My favorite charatcer of the lot of them. The boss of the group, she’s honest, blunt and has a sharp tounge. She has the best lines in the show

Ted: With the public's trust at stake, we all gave depositions. Veronica had done it before and so knew just what to say... or how little to say.
Female Lawyer: Were you involved in the development of this product?
Veronica: Yes.
Female Lawyer: And how would you summarize the company's reaction when they found out that the women who used this product were savagely attacked by insects?
Veronica: Ouch.
Female Lawyer: Will you elaborate on that, please?
Veronica: No.
Female Lawyer: Can you describe your job?
Veronica: Yes.
Female Lawyer: How would you describe your job?
Veronica: Cleverly

Veronica: When I was younger I would feed my sister in her sleep so she wouldn't be thinner than me

Veronica: My door is always open to you. Please, close it on the way out

God I wish I could be that mean to people and get away with it. Only kidding (or am I?) Overall the show is good, it’s funny and Its more than just filling the gap I have without 30 Rock. It’s definitely gotten better as episodes have gone on and I'm enjoying watching the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment