Sunday 7 November 2010

PIXAR VS DREAMWORKS!

Yes I haven't blogged in a while, simply because I haven't had anything to blog about. i haven't been to the cinema in a while and no television has been worth mentioning. Yes I've been watching the new series of the sarah Jane Smith Adventours (which just keeps getting beter and better btw) and the apprentice, but I'm going to do a overall blog about them closer to the time they finish.

Anyway, yesterday I finally made my way back to the cinema where I went to see despicable me, now normally I'm unsure about seeing films by dreamworks. However before I get in to why I'll first say I really enjoyed despicable me. It was sweet, cute, funny for kids and adults alike. However it did miss out on the jokes for the grown up,s you know the type, ones that aren't really appropriate for kids but are worded in a way children won't understand for example in shrek where they mock the prince for his large castle, 'do you think he might be compensating for something?' But yes overall despicable me was a good film which i suggest others watching.

Now it got me thinking about other films from dreamworks and the reason I don't think to highly of dreamworks.

Antz (came out the same time as 'A Bugs life' wasn't as good, dull story, dull characters_
Shrek 1 (an original story with a positive message behind it)
Shrek 2 (better than the original IMO, but no more after this right?)
Shrek 3 (laughed once in the first 5 minuites of the film, after that just bored)
Shrek 4 (not seen it, but surely this is the end of it, right?!)

Shark Tale (out the same time as finding nemo, and doesn't compare to the masterpiece that is finding nemo)
Madagascar (an ok film with a range of different celebrities given their voice to these animated characters)
Over the Hedge (meh, only seen parts of this film but really nothing special)
Bee Movie (strange movie, SO ODD, weird story line and a painful watch)
Kung Fu Panda (a funny film, but after seeing it more than twice I'm done with it)
Monsters vs. Aliens
How to Train Your Dragon
Megamind (again with a range of celebrities giving their voices, although can't help but think its to similar to despicable me)

and we can soon expect a squeals to monsters vs aliens, kung fu panda, despicable me and how to train your dragon.

Now if we look at PIXAR

Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
A bugs Life
Monsters INC.
Finding Nemo
The Incredables
Cars
Ratatouille
WALL-E
Up

and we can expect squeals to monsters inc and cars. Now the amount of films is different while dreamworks has a larger amount, I just can't help but feel enough time is spent of the actual story and making us love the characters. For example Toy Story, yes like shrek it has squeals to it, however the more I watched the toy story films the more I loved them, the more I saw shrek and donkey the quicker I tired of them.

Pixar are master story tellers where as Dreamworks just make as many film as they can to bring in the profit, while I enjoyed despicable me it will never compare to the charm that the likes of toy story create.

Or to sum up my point



^ from college humour


What is going to be interesting is seeing Tangled by disney (not pixar)



is it me or does this have more of a dreamworks feel to it? With the some what self aware 'hero', the animation stlye and the white horse looks a little bit like donkey in the face. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment